Nuffies Leaderboard

Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day Dinner

I slept at about 10 am on Sunday but it's not because I didn't want to sleep......I just couldn't sleep. Think too many things were running through my head. Anyway, I woke up around 4.45pm and we went to see my grandmother at the grave site. Bought her a pink pinwheel which I hope won't go missing again. After that, Daddy wanted to eat at the BBQ Stingray at Alexandra Hawker Centre so off we went.

We reached there around 6.30pm but only found parking at 6.45pm.



Ordered from the famous store there at 7.15pm and the first dish came at 8.15pm, second dish came at 8.30pm.


They already informed us about the 1 hour wait hence we ordered Avocado at $2.50 SGD (Hmm I think there are better stalls than the one we ordered from) which is rather famous and popular as many stalls have it on their menu and 2 small dishes of dim sum which were quite reasonable in pricing ($1.50 for most of the dim sum dishes at the store). Quality for the 2 dim sums that Mum ordered was palatable but so-so as it was quite cold.


Having to wait there for an hour, we noticed that the steady stream of customers for the famous store (they have 2 stalls in a row and 1 further away which is to store raw ingredients) never stopped and the reason why we proceeded to wait is because Dad says we have nothing better to do anyway. Haha.

In the end, the 3 of us ended up on Apple products to while away the time.

Mum on ipod, Dad on my iphone and me on the Ipad.

Oh, before the 1st dish arrived, I also bought a dessert that I really liked at Old Airport Road Market and after trying the one here, I still prefer the one at Old Airport Road. The Red Tea Jelly is better there.




The first dish that arrived was the BBQ Stingray and I guess due to the overwhelming orders, it wasn't really up to standard that day.

The Stingray was slightly over cooked, chilli was good, portion too small for $14 SGD which we were sort of compelled to order as they claimed that they were too busy today and hence all the dishes on the menu were just one price. The usual portions you can order is $10/$14 SGD.


The next dish was Sea Cucumber and Vegetables in Claypot Style. Mum wanted braised tofu but in the end, she decided to opt for this instead. The Sea Cucumbers were chewy and the sauce was not too salty so this was a good choice. The price we paid for this dish was $18 SGD but the usual price is actually $15/$28 SGD.


Service generally was lacklustre but seeing that it was Mother's Day and they were really very busy, it is still understandable.

All in all, I think my parents enjoyed themselves so I am happy too. Oh and watch out for a cleaner there that knocks and runs over people's feet with his trolley when they are ordering. Mum was grouchy for a good part of the dinner as he knocked into her when she was ordering the Dim Sum which she only shared this information with us when the dinner was coming to an end.

I am looking forward to going back there again to try the rest of the stalls but with a bigger group so that we can order and eat more variety of food! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment