Nuffies Leaderboard

Monday, September 10, 2012

Surprise Wine Pairing Dinner @ 35 Keong Saik Road - Pasta Inc

The person who invited me out for dinner did not disclose the location till I am there and to my pleasant surprise, the dinner was a wine pairing session organized by Pasta Inc. They host it once every month so if you enjoy Italian food and Italian wine, you should go and visit them at least once and give it your own opinion.

 
 

This is the menu for the night and I must say it was really substantial, furthermore unlike other wine pairing dinners, their wines throughout the courses were free flow. 



The Apéritifs wine and nuts were served first. The walnuts roasted with pistachios was really fragrant and reminded me of Amos Famous Cookies! Sparkling but not tart, I think it was a decent wine to start off the dinner.


 
Mood Shot 1 Fail! Haha the lighting was too dark!


Contrary to other Lobster Bisques, the soup wasn't really very saltish and the flavours were nicely balanced. There were some chunks of lobster meat inside which was cooked just nicely. If you have any dietary requirements, you can inform the restaurant as they will be glad to change it for you. No additional condiments were added, it was a decent soup but a little bland on impression wise.



Made a  boo boo here by eating the mussel first, the recommended way was to eat the prawn, parma ham with melon and then the mussel. I have to say, I really like this Antipasto trio together with the second white wine served for this course because it made the white wine sweeter and more appetizing!


My companion raved about the pasta ! I think it was good too. Portion is just nice especially with all the cheese on it. The chilli also was a nice touch and I happily ate it all. Didn't feel too heavy after I finished it but being the blur me, I thought that it was the Main Course only to realize that there is still a Main Course! -_- I also preferred the red wine served at this course compared to the red wine served during the main course. The unassuming wine took on a 'kick' after it was paired with the food.

Time for a break! The photos below are all pictures of the restaurant. Ambience was nice and casual, a little boisterous for the food that was presented but I guess it's only normal when people have drank copious amount of wine!


 

Noticed what is wrong in the picture? Yes! Because I thought the Penne was the main course, I used the bigger fork to eat it!!! LOL, so embarrassing :P But hopefully no one spotted it. Maybe my dining companion did, haha because he's the one who told me that there is still a main course after the penne!

Mood Shot fail 2! :( 


Tender beef cheeks and I was informed later that it's a good size of about 200g! I actually enjoyed the carrots and mushrooms more than the beef though =X The last red wine wasn't really that spectacular, didn't leave a lasting impression.


Dessert was a trio of Lychee Sorbet, Tiramisu and Coffe Panna cotta. I really like Panna Cotta a lot but this was a let down to me. It was too mousse like and was more chocolaty than coffee-y. If anything, I prefer the good old plain Panna Cotta the most! :) Lychee Sorbet was meant to cleanse the palate which I dutifully ate it first. My companion informed me that the Intermezzo (Sorbet) was supposed to be before the main course for cleansing of palate. The tiramisu was normal at best, it didn't really stand out although, I could taste a bit of the liquor at the end.



Finally, we ended the dinner with a bottle of Prosecco outside the restaurant chatting with the owner and the staff. It was a pleasant surprise and as I didn't have any expectations for it in the first place, I can't really give a fair rating for this dinner. However, I shall rate it as I still owe my companion a number.

Overall : 6.5/10 + 1 (The additional 1 point is for my companion's wealth of knowledge! Haha)

Pasta Inc
35 Keong Saik Road

No comments:

Post a Comment